Go Back   NZFortress - New Zealand's Team Fortress Community > Competitive Arena > Recruitment

Old 10th July 2011, 11:00 AM   #1

WAH looking for experienced player/mentor

Basically, we're a bunch of dudes who like to game together. We're pretty casual in our play style (okay, really casual...) but I believe we have potential to do alright with a bit of direction. That's where you come in.

We're looking for somebody who will actually play with us, as opposed to traditional mentoring from the sidelines. You can play Solly, Scout or Medic and we'll shuffle around to fit.

So to sum up, we're looking for:
  • Someone with decent gamesense, potentially be our caller (or at least bring some direction to our play)
  • Someone who doesn't mind playing with the Worst Clan in NZ™ (ie. doesn't mind losing)

Cheers.
Old 10th July 2011, 11:39 AM   #2
The Last Resort

You won't get much benefit from a mentor unless you guys are willing to put the hard yards in yourselves.

The biggest problem with most lower level clans is communication, and if a team can't communicate, then it's almost impossible for a mentor to help them. If you actually want to improve then one of your guys, preferably your pocket, should be learning how to call 'strats', and everyone else should be calling what they see. Do that and you will see instant improvement, and then you might be in the position where a mentor would be useful.
Old 10th July 2011, 01:39 PM   #3

I think the problem is they need someone to show these said 'strats'
NZFL2012 Award    Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 02:08 PM   #4
The Last Resort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisnoir View Post
I think the problem is they need someone to show these said 'strats'
Sigh.

There is a lot of strategy in TF2, but it doesn't have the importance or place that people think, hence why I put it quotation marks. Lower division teams think "as long as we can learn some good strats, then we'll start winning, and that's what we need a mentor for, to teach us strats".

The thing is that the first 90% of being a better team is having solid comms and timing. When you have that nailed down, then 'strats' start being important, and that's where a mentor can be useful.

What I mean by having the pocket call 'strats' is simply calling pushes. They can be the most stock standard, boring as fuck pushes, but if you have better timing and comms then the other team, you will win the majority of your pushes. This is something a mentor can't really teach.

All I'm saying is that judging by the OP, they don't need a mentor to teach them 'strats', they just need to play a lot together and all be committed to improving, and then a mentor will be able to help them.
Old 10th July 2011, 02:13 PM   #5

+1 for vouching that WAH are a bunch of top guys _b
Old 10th July 2011, 02:29 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback Zig, you're quite right that our communication is a bit hit or miss. A problem we have is calling to push or fall at the wrong times, rather than not calling it at all.

Also, part of the reason for this thread was because we're down one core player at the moment and I was curious to see if I could kill two birds with one stone.
Old 10th July 2011, 04:13 PM   #7
Pretty Hax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leander View Post
A problem we have is calling to push or fall at the wrong times, rather than not calling it at all.
This is of extreme importance. You can't be indecisive. Have a pocket player / caller and follow the orders. If you lose the battle you'll learn from it, but at least you're following a structure.

The caller should ideally be the one with the best game-sense, for example in a 6v6 if the opposing team has 2 key players down he may make the call to attack even if you're "not quite ready".

Still, as for your request I think you'll be able to find someone who is willing to join in or help out in some way, and in the mean time simply check out the threads in the Academy or feel free to start your own threads in TF2 Discussion.

+Me | Steam : Add Me | Join the NZF Group | PSN: Crowbar- | XBL: crowbar0214 |
Administrator  Steam Community ID   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 05:57 PM   #8
The Last Resort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbar View Post
This is of extreme importance. You can't be indecisive. Have a pocket player / caller and follow the orders. If you lose the battle you'll learn from it, but at least you're following a structure.
This is very true. If your caller makes the decision to go in, then you fucking well go in. Bickering and the resultant 'half-push' is far worse than doing nothing. If your caller knows when he makes a call that everyone will go in, for better or worse, then he will learn far quicker what is and isn't a good call and what is within the capabilities of the team. All or nothing.

Just thinking it over, I'm on holiday for another week or so, and I can't commit to anything long term, but I might be happy to slut. What time do you guys play?
Old 10th July 2011, 02:38 PM   #9
BADMIN

I can honestly say these guys would greatly benefit from a willing mentor, they have come a long way without any help and someone to help them sort out the issues zig pointed out and help them learn and apply the basic strats would help them improve even more-so.

Its just my opinion but a mentor helping with these basics, being an outsider who's performance isn't directly relative to a matches outcome, would be the best help they could get.

Either way they are great guys and as I said its impressive what they have managed with fuck all experience and little support.
Old 10th July 2011, 08:39 PM   #10

We've got weeklies on Monday and Thursday nights at the moment, 9pm starts.
Old 10th July 2011, 10:34 PM   #11

I'm always around to help with the major basics of new members but I'm not the best teacher in the world as I can't really make a commitment.

My game knowledge is a bit outdated as well so can't really share what the current trends are because I don't really care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auth View Post
Damn I wanna manage some Durden
NZFL2 Championship Award    Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 12:15 AM   #12
League Administrator

If I'm available I could probably play on the odd occasion but I'm usually free if you just want to have a chat about how you guys could improve.
Medic Award 2012 NZFL2012 Award NZ Representative Medic Award 2011 NZFL2 Premiership Team Award  Steam Community ID   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 08:13 AM   #13
The T man

Being able to communicate quickly is far better then learning a strat. Just play together lots, you will get the hang of it.

Old 11th July 2011, 09:19 AM   #14
Tanifaa

take up avrils offer is my suggestion
NZ Representative Hellstorm Memorial Trophy NZFL Team Award    Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 11:43 AM   #15

Thanks for all the feedback so far guys!

Strategy is definitely not our issue - I think we've played enough games now (and had some really good training sessions with experienced players, which has been awesome) to understand what the various roles are, where we should all be, what we should be doing in certain situations etc.

Communication is the problem, and we're definitely working on it - when we slut in someone like Zeecount, for example, it all comes together quite quickly - we have direction, and push/fall back when needed. Obviously this is an experience thing - we've probably played about 20 games as a team, so we're pretty green...

So - we're a man down at the moment, and if we can find someone with more experience than us, then he/she can potentially fill the calling role and bring it all together :-)

We're definitely keen to work hard and put in the effort - so if we CAN find someone to come on board, you'll find a crew that's very keen to progress! :-)
Old 12th July 2011, 05:56 PM   #16
n1 toebz

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_da View Post
We're definitely keen to work hard and put in the effort - so if we CAN find someone to come on board, you'll find a crew that's very keen to progress! :-)
good to see clans still putting in that sort of effort man.

n1 jermaine
NZ Representative  Steam Community ID   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 04:02 PM   #17

Props to Zig for the guidance last night! Really helpful, thanks bro :-)
Old 12th July 2011, 05:54 PM   #18
Isotonic Sports Ć’ormula

your med/pocket needs to be calling, def not a scout, as more often than not they are trying to flank/behind enemy and 1) can't see where all of the enemy players are, or 2) more likely they can't see where YOUR/their own team is, and might call to push when you have 4 players alive, but 2 of them have just respawned or something

TOTY    Reply With Quote