Go Back   NZFortress - New Zealand's Team Fortress Community > Gaming Discussion > Studio::NZF

Old 12th February 2012, 01:51 AM   #1

Sooo Del's making a map

Shit it's been nearly a year since this forum was used...

Please don't TL;DR, only read this if you're interested in what I'm making or if you'd like to give any feedback (yes even "that's cool, I would/wouldn't play that" is fine..)

Well the only reason I started playing TF2 was to make maps for it, if you've done some snooping from the link in my signature you would have found I've mapped for other games.

Anyyyyway, I know what it takes to make a good map it goes roughly like this 30% planning, 30% gameplay 30% visuals and 10% other misc shit.

So I'm dead set on the planning stage and I may as well make it public to get as much feedback as possible. I was going to go for a ctf map but I thought I'd flag that and go for a competitive map so 5cp it is!

Before I show you any picture I'm going to describe the theme (its important for you to get a feel of it) The map will be based in an industrial setting, a with construction site, cranes, shipping crates, water/gas tanks and factory type buildings over the place. This will be located on rocky island/piece of land which is under a highway(the highway will be in the skybox so its inaccessible). Moving with the industrial theme it will give the player a deserted feel, so expect rust, decay, crumbled rocks and buildings etc

Now for the juice, this is what I imagined the last CP to be like, >link to the picture< the last point will be a shattered "rain water tank" like object only accessible from the front like Badlands last, various objects scattered around and the team spawning behind the Tank, with 4 ways to go to prevent spawn camping(directed at pubs). As you can see it looks like there's a lot going on in the picture but its just a mockup, there wont be too much detail

>Here is the layout for the whole map<
Before I start explaining shit, Here is the Key;
Light Purple: Capture point
Orange: Roller doors
Pink: Window (always open)
Red: Ramp
Yellow: A lower down platform, to jump from yellow to white(level ground) would be the height of a scouts double jump.
Cyan: Is the hight it would take for a scouts double jump
Green: Twice as high as a scouts double jump
Blue: 4x as high as a scouts double jump
Black: too high to access(clipped off rock, or the highways pillars)

The positioning is taken as If I've spawned and running through the map(eg left/right etc)

Starting at the First CP.
you'll spawn behind the cistern/water tank with spawn doors in 4 ways, left right or drop down on the left or drop down on the right, on the left will be a high rock which you cannot get ontop of and on the right will be a taller building like on snakewater last for the solly to jump on. Will probably add more for defence but atm I only have another building in the middle for some height advantage.

Moving to 2nd,
This is an indoor CP, the height of it being quite tall to get some RJ's in there, probably as high as the atrium on Foundry last. 3 roller doors at ground level and a window on the left on 2nd level, a balconey will be going around nearly the whole building on the 2nd level which is twice as high as a scout can double jump, I'll have to add in a ramp which I have not done yet.

On the way to Mid.
On the right side there is a drop off which only a scout can double jump up, or solly/demo can RJ/SJ up, the medic will have to rollout left through the building. (not sure If I should keep it like this or keep the team from splitting up. (need feedback on this)

At Mid.
This looks kinda weird on the layout, but its a contruction site type deal (a very basic one, It will be a steel wire frame kinda like this. There will only be 3 levels to the wire frame, the CP will be on the 1st level.
The abnormal penis shaped objects are infact 2 cranes, which will be at roughly the height of 4x a scouts x2 jump. As for cover in the midfight I haven't thought of much, maybe a building or 2, or stairs up the crane? Need feedback on medic cover for Midfights to work out.

Overall.
I've taken all classes into account when designing the map, sniper will be a bit OP(over powered) in the midfight so I'll NEED to add more cover there, I see sentry points and easy flanking routes, some sick rollouts and some nice RJ spots.

I will love you for your feedback, and people who give plenty of feedback will receive many thanks and I may infact give out some items/metal to people who show a genuine interest in wanting to get another good 3rd party map out there!

Long post <3
cheers
Old 12th February 2012, 01:58 AM   #2

Last looks kinda open and super easy to push into, do you think you could turn that into more of a choke?
Old 12th February 2012, 05:43 PM   #3
briona

Interested to see a slightly less conceptual drawing, pehaps with an on-picture key to save me from massive amounts of alt tabs.

HOWEVER!

I commend your initiative as always Del.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge View Post
It's too late for stitches, you have aids

Old 12th February 2012, 05:52 PM   #4

That's why I wrote a novel was that not in depth enough? I'll be drawing a few sketches and shit so its a bit more vivid for viewers.
You should be able to get an idea of the elevations from the colour key. What the map visually looks like isn't really going to be an issue although I have in mind a warm setting(dark maps don't play well)

I should hop to those sketches so I can get more feedback
Old 12th February 2012, 05:52 PM   #5
League Administrator

yeah had to keep switching back to the legend of colours and not really sure how wide everything will be
please ensure it has hidden unicorns, thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 05:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldat View Post
Interested to see a slightly less conceptual drawing, pehaps with an on-picture key to save me from massive amounts of alt tabs.

HOWEVER!

I commend your initiative as always Del.
I edited the picture to add a key
Old 12th February 2012, 06:27 PM   #7
BADMIN

This is amazing work by Delirium so keep it on topic people
Old 12th February 2012, 06:50 PM   #8
briona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
I edited the picture to add a key
o.O Where?
Quote:

Old 12th February 2012, 07:06 PM   #9

ctrl + f5 when you load the photo, your browser would have cached it
Old 12th February 2012, 07:24 PM   #10
briona

TECHNOLOGY
Quote:

Old 26th April 2012, 11:18 PM   #11
Dominhoes

How goes progress on this Del? I remember it looking pretty cool when you last posted about it.
Old 27th April 2012, 04:47 PM   #12

Progress has been going smoothly, should be ready for an alpha test within the next few weeks
Old 27th April 2012, 06:17 PM   #13
Dominhoes

Sweet, glad to hear it
Old 28th April 2012, 04:39 PM   #14

We should try it out in a scrim some time.
Scout Award 2012 Fresh Meat    Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 06:29 PM   #15
Dominhoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplatypus View Post
We should try it out in a scrim some time.
This. We'd be happy to test it
Old 28th April 2012, 06:45 PM   #16
League Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominoes View Post
This. We'd be happy to test it
Greaver will be happy to cast it
Medic Award 2012 NZFL2012 Award NZ Representative Medic Award 2011 NZFL2 Premiership Team Award  Steam Community ID   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 07:11 PM   #17
Dominhoes

NZFL round 9?