Go Back   NZFortress - New Zealand's Team Fortress Community > NZF Museum > Archived Articles & Columns > Urban Cynicism

Old 20th August 2009, 09:03 PM   #1
SCIENCE!

discourse #13: cellphones

This is my last article for term 3, next one should be up in 3 weeks...Yay for the holidays~

Iíve been more annoyed with my cellphone recently. Before I had one I managed fine, so why do I almost submit to it now?

I tried to resist the cellphone craze when it first gripped New Zealand teenagers many years ago. My defiance didnít last long though, and soon enough had a cellphone of my own. It was fun for a while; I sent text messages by the hundreds, took lots of silly pictures and bought the ringtone of Monkey Gone to Heaven. Text messages quickly became the default mode of communication and my cellphone turned into a constant companion.

The cellphone was adopted into the modern psyche so quickly that people had no time to stop and think how useful it actually was, meaning that weíre left overestimating the importance of the device. As with a lot of modern inventions, Iím in a state of limbo with cellphones. I know my phone isnít a necessity, yet feel pathetically under-equipped when Iím without it. After getting over the initial jolt of panic however, itís actually quite therapeutic to spend time away from oneís own phone. Itís nice being off limits from everyone, uncontactable and not at the mercy of any fool who decides to send you one of those irritating ďHey, how are you?Ē messages. I think cellphones actually restrict freedom, and my recent efforts to reduce my reliance and usage of my phone have been very liberating.

Telecom and Vodafone, New Zealandís two telecommunication giants, have taken advantage of consumers for years. With inflated calling rates (currently 89c per minute), texting has been made the usual method of contact for most young people. Text messages cost these companies next to nothing to transmit, especially if itís within their own network, which means that Vodafone and Telecom make a fortune off their texting plans and regular 20c per text fee. Text messages give a near 90% profit margin on average globally, and with an estimated 2.5 trillion messages sent worldwide last year, itís easy to see how these companies make their money so easily.

Telecom and Vodafone may appear to be in competition, but neither company has any real incentive to significantly drop their prices since they both benefit greatly from the situation. This is why I greatly anticipated the launch of newcomer 2degrees, who introduced calling and texting rates that are 50% cheaper than Telecom and Vodafone. With enough support, they will hopefully stimulate some real competition, and a lot of people sick of Telecom and Vodafoneís unchanging prices are already making the move to them.

For me, cellphones are useful in terms of convenience, but not much else. I miss the old days of calling up everyone on their home phones to organise something; texting is far more impersonal and I often seem to misinterpret ambiguous messages anyway. Limiting my cellphone use has been great fun so far. You can do it too; take your cellphone out of your pocket now and turn it off. After the initial paranoia, youíll feel much better for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no spending wizard View Post
no spending!
Steam Community ID  
Old 20th August 2009, 09:16 PM   #2

next story: airplane food
Old 20th August 2009, 10:06 PM   #3

I don't really understand the argument that some people put forward, that cellphones 'restrict freedom'.

If you don't want to respond to a message, simply don't! That's what I do.

Old 21st August 2009, 09:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheogen View Post
I don't really understand the argument that some people put forward, that cellphones 'restrict freedom'.

If you don't want to respond to a message, simply don't! That's what I do.
What about if other people (work/friends/family) expect you to have your cellphone on you so they can communicate with you about plans on the fly etc?

I've seen some people who have been expecting texts watch their phones like hawks. In that sense, they're not really 'free' because they're still having to keep checking their phone for the important text to come through.

There's also the whole 'without it I'm incomplete/isolated' feeling. Until you get rid of that you aren't really free either

/2c

Old 23rd August 2009, 09:21 PM   #5
SCIENCE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Eagle View Post
What about if other people (work/friends/family) expect you to have your cellphone on you so they can communicate with you about plans on the fly etc?

I've seen some people who have been expecting texts watch their phones like hawks. In that sense, they're not really 'free' because they're still having to keep checking their phone for the important text to come through.

There's also the whole 'without it I'm incomplete/isolated' feeling. Until you get rid of that you aren't really free either

/2c
exactly my thoughts, a lot of people (girls especially) seem to be chained to their phones /:

Quote:
Originally Posted by no spending wizard View Post
no spending!
Steam Community ID  
Old 23rd August 2009, 09:48 PM   #6

Cellphones are excellent vibrators

Old 24th August 2009, 12:16 AM   #7
FOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Cellphones are excellent vibrators
LOL

you always have the option to turn your phone off ...
you always have the i have no cred come back (unless on plan)
Steam Community ID  
Old 24th August 2009, 01:38 AM   #8
The Last Resort

I rarely use my phone anymore. Pisses my family off no end when they actually want to get a hold of me, but people are so impatient. Society managed to get by without cellphones for the past 30,000 years, why should I conform and use one now.

Not that I don't use simply because everyone else does. Non-conformity for it's own sake is immature. There's a plethora of reasons, to name a few:

1. I'm as forgetful as fuck. I'm constantly losing my wallet and locking myself out of the house. A cellphone is just yet another thing to worry about.

2. They're expensive. The amount of money most people spend on their phones each month, would be much better spent on a few CD's or a nice case of beer imo.

3. They fuck me off. People breaking off mid-conversation to answer what is more than likely a trivial text is only mildly annoying to me, but I can't help but wonder at how rude that would have been in a stricter society. This one is actually the least of my concerns regarding cellphones. It takes a lot more than that to insult me, but I do find it a rather ironic situation.

4. Occam's razor. On the rare occasion I actually need to use one, somebody else always has one handy.
Old 24th August 2009, 06:52 AM   #9

Stig, you and I are the same person bar the losing shit trait.

My parents got a cellphone before I did, and the cellphone I have is their old one that they tried to give me, to "catch me up" with the modern age. I have had the phone since jan09, and have switched it on maybe 5 times. I don't even know the number for it. I ring my riding mates on the landline and say "dude lets ride Sunday 1pm" they say "rgr that", and I hang up. I pay a monthly fdee for a landline, and I use it, because it's practical. Cellphones are good if you want to go remote places, with risks involved, other than that, I can't see a practical use for one.

Kind of the most over rated thing out there imo. Just another addiction for our populace to get hooked on.
Steam Community ID  
Old 24th August 2009, 07:15 AM   #10
so last week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig View Post
I rarely use my phone anymore. Pisses my family off no end when they actually want to get a hold of me, but people are so impatient. Society managed to get by without cellphones for the past 30,000 years, why should I conform and use one now.
interesting how you say that and spend so many hours in front of your computer
Video Genius Award  Steam Community ID  
Old 24th August 2009, 01:35 PM   #11
The T man

skype is the real winner. Would rather pay for Skype then a cellphone tbh (even better, I want one of those skype cellphones) cellphones in NZ are a huge ripoff. I believe its also on the Iphone now.

Moral of the story, my post is random and makes no sense when read out loud. It also sounds like I am on speed right now.

Old 24th August 2009, 01:58 PM   #12

so your on p the rest of the time?

Old 24th August 2009, 10:18 PM   #13
derp

fuck yeah turtleman, I'd rather carry my computer around with me than use a cellphone to talk to people!
Old 24th August 2009, 11:08 PM   #14
The T man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerm View Post
fuck yeah turtleman, I'd rather carry my computer around with me than use a cellphone to talk to people!
I'm not sure if you know this but skype make cellphones and apps for portable devices now.

Old 24th August 2009, 11:15 PM   #15
derp

what?

so you'd rather use a cellphone that runs skype over using a cellphone?

how the fuck does that make sense
Old 24th August 2009, 11:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleman View Post
I'm not sure if you know this but skype make cellphones and apps for portable devices now.
BUT THEN YOU STILL HAVE A CELLPHONE!!!! WHY WOULDN'T YOU JUST USE THAT LIKE A NORMAL PERSON!!
Old 24th August 2009, 11:46 PM   #17
The Last Resort

Haha, did anybody see CloseUp tonight. Rather topical.

http://tvnz.co.nz/close-up/s2009-08-24-video-2939886
Old 25th August 2009, 01:32 AM   #18
Banned

Feed: reads like a "list of random things about cellphones, rather than a piece of writing with any real direction.
Agree, cellphones are overated but useful.

Need a bridge of some kind between "my attitudes to cell phones" and "how they are priced". Something that ties the topics together more than "things about cellphones". To me, this is 2 topics in 1. 1 = Cellphones and social activity. 2 = profiteering telecommunications companies. Id adress only one, or if I addressed both, id bridge them better. Ur paragraphs shouldn't be so disjointed in content without
an explanation for why, and something tying the 2 themes together. Hope this helps.
on topic:

I prefer my cellphone to landline cause its easier to ignore.
I like for my parents and a few others to be the only people with my home number, so I dont get cornered by conversation I cbf with.
I hate txting. If u txt me, im as likely to ignore it or just call you back as I am to answer it.

Last edited by maxtr0n; 25th August 2009 at 01:35 AM.

Old 25th August 2009, 06:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by decap View Post
interesting how you say that and spend so many hours in front of your computer
Computers arent an act of conforming. I didn't buy a PC originally for gaming, i bought it to type letters and send emails.
Computers are not a portable accessory that distract drivers, or make kids into idiots, often "communicating" via phone to people 6 feet away from them. Totally different situation. I can walk away from my pc, as I bet stig could, for a fortnights vacation, and never even think about the damn thing, but on close up last night, these poor girls could not stay away from their phones for 11mins. It's an addiction......... a modern one.

Edit, jerm, Tmans statement makes perfect sense if you remove the idea that people have to make calls while they are out of the house... it's not a must, it's a modern convenience bought about by the introduction of the mobile. Kids are now addicted to these things, properly addicted.

Edfit #2 . Nice to see maxtron say what he does about txting, possibly the biggest waste of time and money on the planet after the viewing of Americas next Top Model, and related shows.

Last edited by Dale; 25th August 2009 at 06:48 AM.
Steam Community ID  
Old 25th August 2009, 10:00 AM   #20
so last week

i was aiming it at this bit

Quote:
Society managed to get by without cellphones for the past 30,000 years, why should I conform and use one now.
Video Genius Award  Steam Community ID  
Old 25th August 2009, 10:49 AM   #21

texting is like a passive way of nagging and annoying people, and you don't feel like you're wasting their time because they can choose to ignore it or reply at their leisure."Sup what u up to?", simply wouldn't work in a phone call and the conversation would get awkward quickly unless you had a follow up.

It's a good way of saying pointless shit. Texting is also useful because you have a log of sorts, so you can ask for addresses or other important things and have it on hand without having to write it down.

Other than that, most people use it [citation needed] simply because it's the cheaper alternative, and with enough time spent on it can get your txt speed up to a point where it's not so much of a hinderence.

I get scared when people call me because I assume it's urgent.

If calling was as cheap as texting I'd be calling everyone though.

It's strange, I find it easier to text and drive than talk on the phone and drive.

Old 25th August 2009, 11:21 AM   #22

Texting is pretty outdated in literally every other 'developed' country from what I've heard and seen.

Old 25th August 2009, 12:02 PM   #23
The Last Resort

Quote:
What Kruz says still holds. Using my PC is not an act of conformity, nor a case of using it because the technology exists. I use it for study and entertainment. Using my cellphone doesn't fill either of those categories.
Old 25th August 2009, 01:38 PM   #24
Banned

Valid point, but owning a cellphone need not be an act of conformity.
An operational cellphone is basically free (just gotta find someone replacing), and u can have all the benifits of a cellphone without any of the negatives by owning a cellphone and only turning it on when you want to use it as a tool.

You can take what u want from something without conforming to the stupid.

Not saying u should feel obliged tho. I didnt have a celly for AGES, and people treating it as odd fucked me off more than not having one did.

Last edited by maxtr0n; 25th August 2009 at 01:43 PM.

Old 25th August 2009, 02:24 PM   #25
The Last Resort

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtr0n. View Post
Valid point, but owning a cellphone need not be an act of conformity.
An operational cellphone is basically free (just gotta find someone replacing), and u can have all the benifits of a cellphone without any of the negatives by owning a cellphone and only turning it on when you want to use it as a tool.

You can take what u want from something without conforming to the stupid.

Not saying u should feel obliged tho. I didnt have a celly for AGES, and people treating it as odd fucked me off more than not having one did.
Of course. And that's what I do. I have a phone, I have even have it charged and topped up most of the time. I just never use it. I usually leave it at my desk. Too much hassle imo.

On the flipside, I'm not saying everyone who does use one is a conformist tool Plenty of people actually do need them for their jobs, and they are a useful tool in that respect. I just don't have the need or desire to use mine more regularly.
Old 25th August 2009, 03:15 PM   #26
MOTHERDUCK

Quote:
well you missed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
one of the nicest guys you'll meet.. after combigbust ofc
Soldier Award 2012 NZFL2012 Award Hellstorm Memorial Trophy Soldier Award 2011 NZFL2 Premiership Team Award  Steam Community ID  
Old 25th August 2009, 03:26 PM   #27
The T man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PjKiwi View Post
BUT THEN YOU STILL HAVE A CELLPHONE!!!! WHY WOULDN'T YOU JUST USE THAT LIKE A NORMAL PERSON!!
Skype to skype is Free

+ they have really good international rates.

Quote:
Of course. And that's what I do. I have a phone, I have even have it charged and topped up most of the time. I just never use it. I usually leave it at my desk. Too much hassle imo.

On the flipside, I'm not saying everyone who does use one is a conformist tool Plenty of people actually do need them for their jobs, and they are a useful tool in that respect. I just don't have the need or desire to use mine more regularly.
Yeah, its great for work. I barly use mine for personal stuff anymore, easier just to pick up the landline. The people on closeup last night where freaks who need to see a addiction place.

I can imagine what they will grow up like. Its really sad. she missed camp because the camp had no cellphone coverage. thats shocking. Her parents must not give a shit. Her social skills will be next to none.

What happen to just chilling with your friends face to face!

Old 25th August 2009, 03:40 PM   #28

cell phones have their uses - but are defintely over used. I don't ever recall having problems organising things with mates in school when noone had a cell phone.

I can't stand seeing them used as a social crutch -- people sitting awkardly somewhere and instead of interacting with people checking their phones every 30 seconds to see if they have a text.

and occasionally I stop and think how very cool the technology is.
Old 25th August 2009, 04:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruz View Post
Edfit #2 . Nice to see maxtron say what he does about txting, possibly the biggest waste of time and money on the planet after the viewing of Americas next Top Model, and related shows.
yea I'd much rather be wasting my money on a "bike" to ride about when you coudl just drive, ANTM is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 25th August 2009, 07:57 PM   #30

I love my Fukcinqq Cell phone.

I dont see the biq deal in makinq this post. but Just so ya know cell phones are really important sometimes.
For example:

Once there was a girl named Madeline Rose. She was only twelve and had recently moved to east Auckland. She had moved in with her cousin who was 20. His name was Ben and Ben had a gf at home named Joleen who he abused and shit like that. They didnt have a home phone at their house. Only Madelines cell phone
One day Ben was abusing Joleen so much and Madeline knew she had her Cell phone somewhere so she looked and looked and looked. By the time Joleen had been nearly wasted but not dead or unconcious yet and Ben was nearly onto Madeline.... Madeline hid away but she spotted her cell phone sitting on her bed. she ran....... she got it just in time for ben to see her and she hid back under the bed. she dialed the cops and they came. Ben was charged 20 years in jail for assault and kiddy rape.

SEE... Phones are really important. If you dont use it you should still have one on or near you when your in town by yourself or even with a friend. Who knows. It happens everyday.... thats all from me. byeeeeeeee x

Old 25th August 2009, 07:59 PM   #31
You ain't heard Iím the shit

is 20 years what you get for assault and rape these days?
Old 25th August 2009, 08:00 PM   #32

20 years but you'll get out in 10

Old 25th August 2009, 08:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco View Post
is 20 years what you get for assault and rape these days?
max sentence for rape is 20 years, so it's possible
Old 26th August 2009, 08:38 PM   #34
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig View Post

a+

Quote:
Originally Posted by durden View Post
cell phones have their uses - but are defintely over used. I don't ever recall having problems organising things with mates in school when noone had a cell phone.
Dog u were at school u saw them all day everyday.

Last edited by jerm; 26th August 2009 at 09:43 PM.

Old 26th August 2009, 08:55 PM   #35
Lanzar La Luna!

I've met durden and I'm pretty sure he was in and out of school when cellphones were still in briefcases

You know what they say about assumptions max you silly tool

Old 26th August 2009, 09:43 PM   #36
derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleman View Post
Skype to skype is Free
!
maybe so, but you still need a FUCKING INTERNET CONNECTION to use skype.

how do you get an internet connection on your iphone? YOU PAY VODAFONE FOR IT
Old 26th August 2009, 10:37 PM   #37
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auth View Post
I've met durden and I'm pretty sure he was in and out of school when cellphones were still in briefcases

You know what they say about assumptions max you silly tool
i meant he saw his mates everyday (at school).
u dont need phones to organise things with people u see everyday. Hence im not surprised he didnt need need phones to organise things with them.
get the point?
good.
Fuck off with the abuse

Last edited by maxtr0n; 26th August 2009 at 10:39 PM.

Old 26th August 2009, 10:46 PM   #38
Lanzar La Luna!

Settle down princess! I misread your comment thanks for elaborating

You fuck off with the fuck off

Oh and on topic: I basically use my cellphone to call my parents and organise shenanigans as it's basically replaced my landline due to flatting arrangements etc

I'd much prefer to call someone as opposed to bashing out a text message as its easier to talk and be heard than tlk lyk dis wch iz clrly way kewlr yo

Old 26th August 2009, 10:49 PM   #39
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auth View Post
Settle down princess! I misread your comment thanks for elaborating

You fuck off with the fuck off

Oh and on topic: I basically use my cellphone to call my parents and organise shenanigans as it's basically replaced my landline due to flatting arrangements etc

I'd much prefer to call someone as opposed to bashing out a text message as its easier to talk and be heard than tlk lyk dis wch iz clrly way kewlr yo
s'all